Thursday, November 15, 2012

More Poetry: Acrostic Poems

Another type of poetry is an acrostic poem. Acrostic poems are poems in which each line begins with a letter that either makes a word or a sentence. This is a basic type of poetry easily done with children, often spelling names.

Here is an example of an acrostic poem that I have written. If you look at the letter at the beginning of each line you will see that this poem spells out a sentence. Acrostic poems don't just have to list a group of characterstics.

Ex.
B- Beautiful
E- Elegant
L-Lovely
L- Lively
A-Adorable

Acrostic poems can be written in free verse. You can use imagery and descriptive language to make it exceptional.


My Lost Soldier

If only I could leave this slumber and escape from my lonesome chamber!

What would I see in the night
If I floated out of my window, passing through the glass like the ghost I have become?
Leaves flying over the brightly lit moon like a ladle over a steaming bowl of soup?
Languages of unknown origin spoken softly under dark rooftops?

 An old beggar breaking his fiddle strings to make ends meet?
Lambs of pure white being guided through a pasture?
Would I hear songs of the hungry and laments of the rich?
Are children crying; their bloody fingers stringing a bow as they fight for their life?
Your wife is calling, my soldier!
Sound of my coming might not register to your ears, but you know I am getting closer.

 Lost I have become thinking of this misery. I will see the world with you for one last time.
Our love will guide me to you.
Violent thrashing of bullet after bullet will only bring us closer.
Every last breath you take I see as a step forward.

You shouldn’t be sad my soldier; I saw it coming before your sergeant rang my doorbell.
Over crimson fields I fly as you flee from explosions, leaking the same red I see.
Under a tree you rest for the last time, and I am there to be with you. Together forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment