Thursday, November 15, 2012

Poetry: Haiku & Object Poems


When writing creatively your best friend is options. It's imerative to have choices when it comes to creative writing, especially poetry. One unique way to constuct a poem is through a Haiku. A haiku poem is a three lined poem with five syllables in the first line, seven syllables in the second line, and five syllables in the third line. Here is an example of my own Haiku.
 
Forgotten Splendor

Clouds of mist surround (5 syllables)
Silk descends into the void (7 syllables)
Dark waves mystify (5 syllables)
 
Here is a website that gives more examples and a history of Haiku poetry:Haiku Poems
 
 
Another type of poem is an object poem. This type of poem allows the writer to transpose the characterstics of an object in a way that delivers new perspective. These types of poems can be written about any object, living or nonliving. Here is an example of my own object poem about a dandelion. 

Fatal Farewell

 

Dear dandelion,

Why do you allure me so?

Your white tuffs of cotton,

Your rounded head,

Your fragile stem,

They call to me to take a step further.

 

Temptation is your demise

I cannot help but pluck you from your restful home

My childlike instincts push me forward

Without a choice, I rip you in half

You cry silently

Sticky, sugary fluid leaks over my fingers

I hold your sweet tears in my hand without regret

 

Friend of mine, your life is at an end

Beautiful as you might be, I cannot let you stay

With a gust of air you loose your mystique

Your strange fluffy petals flutter into the sky

Goodbye dandelion

May I one day see you again.
 
This website gives more information about object poems: their purposes and ways to go about forming an object poem: Object poem 




No comments:

Post a Comment